Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lots of Progress

I've been very productive.
I've linked up levels through exit events, so players can travel from level to level - in many different ways.
When the player hits the edge of a map, a level will load. When a player enters a door, a level will load, etc...
I also added a fade in/out to make level loading less 'jumpy'.
Then I added in around 10-15 new game objects, ranging from bones to flowers to cacti, then placed them across several levels.
The game also features a non-blocking popup, that can display information such as which level was just loaded.
This popup does not interfere with any player input and operates on a timer, so the popup goes away automatically after a few seconds.
I'm going to revisit the dialog/window designs I've done so far because I'm not happy with them.
I added in destinations to levels, and support for creating/handling destinations in the editor.
Destinations are essentially positions in the level that can be used as nodes to traverse the level.
Algorithms such as A* can operate on this list of positions, figuring out which destinations to take to arrive at a location.
Destinations basically allow actors in the game to move around the level.
Up next is designing the building sheet, which will allow for the existence of entire towns and cities in the game.
And since I plan on making the building objects in a similar fashion to the game objects, there isn't really a reason why a building object couldn't collapse into a debris object, which would allow for the destruction of entire buildings/towns.
Here are some recent screenshots (I've taken to hiding the UI for now):





Can't wait to get some enemies in there and start figuring out the battle system/mechanics/gameplay!

No comments:

Post a Comment